Eviction Prevention Resources

In Maryland

A landlord may only take possession of a dwelling unit after a court hearing, in which a tenant will be given notice to appear, and a Judgment for Possession and a Warrant of Restitution is obtained and executed by a sheriff. You may wish to speak to a lawyer if you receive a court summons or a notice to vacate, and prior to you making an agreement with your landlord or moving out.

If you are a tenant in need of legal advice or representation:

Community Legal Services of Prince George’s County, Inc.

(240) 391-6370 | clspgc.org


If you are a landlord in need of advice:

District Court Self-Help Center

(410) 260-1392 | courts.state.md.us/legalhelp/districtctselfhelpctr


Additional Resources:

Maryland Legal Aid

Provides free civil legal services to financially eligible tenants. Focus areas include federally subsidized housing cases. (301) 560-2100 | mdlab.org


Provides advocacy, employment placement, workplace development, citizenship, legal services, and financial, language, and literacy training to Latino and immigrant communities throughout the State. (866) 765-2272 wearecasa.org

Prince George’s County Bar Association

Assists the public with locating lawyers for specific legal matters. Services are available to anyone who wants to hire an attorney and can afford to pay for legal services. (301) 952-1440

Housing Initiative Partnership, Inc.

A nonprofit housing developer and HUD-approved housing counseling agency that creates housing and economic security for low and moderate-income households.
(301) 699-3835 | hiphomes.org